A flight from JFK Airport, headed to San Francisco, was diverted to Michigan on Tuesday night when a laptop battery caught fire.
The flight left New York at 6:25 p.m. and was scheduled to land at SFO at 8:53 p.m. Pacific time, but ended up at Michigan's Ford Airport in Grand Rapids at 8:12 p.m. CST.
One passenger, Kat Honniball, told the ABC affiliate that "a man a few rows behind her smelled smoke and noticed it was somebody's backpack burning."
"I was stunned," she said, but added that she "knew something was going to happen because you know, lithium batteries catching on fire when you're up at 38,000 feet—you can't help but think you gotta do something. So I was prepared for it."
In a statement, the FAA said, "JetBlue 915 from New York's JFK to San Francisco diverted to Grand Rapids, Michigan following reports of smoke emitting from a carry-on bag holding an electronic device. The flight landed safely and the aircraft is being inspected by maintenance crews before customers continue on to San Francisco."
The United States is considering a ban on laptops on flights between the U.S. and Europe. No decision has been made yet, but a European Commission official told the Telegraph yesterday, "[Homeland] Secretary [John] Kelly affirmed he will implement any and all measures necessary to secure commercial aircraft flying to the United States - including prohibiting large electronic devices from the passenger cabin—if the intelligence and threat level warrant it."