Yesterday, there was a fire started by an unattended candle caused one death and many injuries. In a Queens apartment building, a brother and sister saw that a candle had started a fire, and they left their apartment, leaving the door open. They did not call 911. When someone from a building down the block did call 911, he accidentally gave his own address, and not the addres of the burning building. The Mayor and Fire Department are using this an opportunity to remind people of fire safety rules and also how holiday candles can be dangerous (especially holiday candles).

More holiday safety tips from the FDNY.