The confetti has been tested, the ball has been prepped, and New Year's Eve is only a day away. And the only thing more horrifying than the titular Garry Marshall movie is the traffic and commuting nightmare that awaits anyone attempted to travel in and out of Manhattan. Below, you can find out all the street closures and subway changes in store for you as you welcome in 2013.
- Southbound and northbound N/R/W lines will skip the 49th Street station beginning at 7 p.m., Monday, December 31st until approximately 12:15 a.m., Tuesday, January 1st.
- The northbound 1 train will skip the 50th Street station beginning at 7 p.m., Monday, December 31st until approximately 12:15 a.m., Tuesday, January 1st.
- There will be no exit to the street at Times Square from 10 p.m. until approximately 12:15 a.m.; you can exit at 8th Av-42nd Street via the passageway.
- Check out other service changes here, including: no 7 train between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square-42nd Street and no 1 trains between Rector Street and South Ferry.
Beginning at 1:30 p.m. on Monday, December 31st, Times Square will be closed to vehicle traffic. Attendees will be directed by Police Officers to gather in separate viewing sections. When one section fills up, people will be directed to the next viewing section. As the evening progresses, revelers will continue to fill Times Square along Broadway and Seventh Avenue moving uptown from 43rd Street to Central Park.
- Backpacks and large bags prohibited
- Alcohol beverages prohibited
- Property may not be abandoned at checkpoints
- Attendees who leave before the ball drops will not be able to gain entry to their original viewing area
There will be No Parking in the following areas from Monday, December 31st at 12:01 a.m. until 1:00 a.m. on Tuesday, January 1st:
- All cross-town streets from 33rd to 59th Street between 6th and 8th Avenue;
- West side of 5th Avenue, from 37th to 52nd Streets;
- West side of 6th Avenue, from 34th to 59th Streets;
- East side of 6th Avenue, from 37th to 52nd Streets;
- East side of 8th Avenue from 34th to 57th Streets;
- 48th Street between 5th and Ninth Avenues;
- 43rd Street between 5th and 8th Avenue;
- 42nd Street between 5th and 9th Avenue;
- 37th Street between 5th and 8th Avenue;
- 34th Street between 5th and 9th Avenue;
- 48th Street between 5th and 9th Avenue;
- 52nd Street between 5th and 8th Avenue;
- 58th Street between 6th and 8th Avenue;
- 59th Street between 5th Avenue and Columbus Circle.
At approximately 1:30 p.m. on Monday, December 31st, the following streets will be closed to all vehicular traffic:
- Seventh Avenue, from 41st to 59th Streets;
- Broadway, from 47th to 59th Streets;
- 43rd to 47th Streets, from Sixth to Eighth Avenue.
Beginning at 5 p.m. on Monday, December 31st, 42nd Street from 6th to Eight Avenue will be closed to traffic. After 6:30 p.m. on Monday, December 31st, the remainder of the traffic closures will be instituted as crowd conditions warrant:
- All cross-town streets from 37th to 41st Streets - Sixth to Eighth Avenues;
- All cross-town streets from 49th to 59th Streets - Sixth to Eighth Avenues;
- 48th Street, from Fifth to Ninth Avenues;
- Cross-town access for emergency vehicles will be available on 42nd, 48th, and 59th Streets.
People are strongly advised to use public transportation. On-street parking will be extremely limited in the Midtown area. People should avoid all cross-town streets from 34th to 59th Streets, as well as Sixth and Eighth Avenues. The Department will continue its drunken driving enforcement on New Year's Eve through DWI patrols and checkpoints throughout the City.