Gothamist, now part of WNYC for over a year, is looking to hire a full-time Digital Reporter / Producer to join our team! We're hoping to find someone who is at ease covering breaking NYC news events as well as investigating longer features across news, culture, and food.
Gothamist is seeking those who obsessively follow New York City news and engage with arts and culture. Ideal candidates are also culinary adventurers, urban etiquette experts, bodega cat aficionados, and journalists who mix skepticism with a keen eye for detail. We're a small team that does big things.
As a Digital Reporter / Producer on the team, you will sift through an ocean of news, discard pro forma filler, and elevate important, insightful, moving, or otherwise noteworthy stories with enriching context and without cliché. Sometimes you will pick up the phone, send a raft of emails, and leave the office to bring back something original or unexpected for the post.
Stories may contain a mix of aggregation and our own reporting to advance the story, while others may emphasize substantive reportage that is influenced by the Gothamist voice that makes our aggregation trenchant and entertaining.
You will be responsible for writing stories for Gothamist.com, but candidates are also open-minded collaborators who are excited about the opportunities that a combined Gothamist/WNYC newsroom can offer in providing a definitive, authentic take on news and life in New York. You should be eager to think about how Gothamist continues to serve its audience of New Yorkers who want to be savvy about city issues, and present fresh ideas on how to reach those who might not have realized Gothamist was the resource they needed.
- Writing and reporting 2-4 stories per day (total output dependent on length and originality)
- Willingness to work across different subject areas—news, food, and arts & culture
- Working with editors to develop, pitch new story ideas
- Appearing on WNYC platforms, including news shows, talk shows and podcasts
- Creating content for social media platforms, newsletters, and other Gothamist & WNYC products
Necessary skills and experience:
- 1-5 years writing and/or reporting for a digital or print publication
- Strong interest in New York City
- Ability to multitask and take direction in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Desire to collaborate and brainstorm
- Fluent understanding of social media platforms for research purposes
- Familiarity with social media best practices
- Basic photo editing skills
- Ability to shoot photographs and videos a plus
- Full-time position (35 hours/week) with competitive compensation package
- Eligible for full insurance benefits (medical, vision, dental, prescription)
- Eligible for 403(B) Retirement Plan
- Fantastic paid time off package including: vacation days, personal/sick days, and paid holidays
If you don't meet all the bullet points, but think you'd be a great candidate—apply and tell us why!
Please apply through Jobvite with a resume, a letter expressing interest and links to clips.
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between New York Public Radio and SAG-AFTRA.