ABC personnel were forced to evacuate parts of their building yesterday after an ABC employee received a letter with a mention of anthrax. There was no powder included in the letter, but officials sent out an office-wide email telling employees to evacuate the building, located at 147 Columbus Ave. A "rambling diatribe" that arrived in an envelope containing white powder at Bill Clinton's Harlem office last year caused a similar panic.
Just two weeks ago, WABC went off the air for approximately two hours after a fire broke out near the set of "Regis and Kelly Live." Employees had to be quickly evacuated as choking smoke filled the building while one of the studios burned. Anthrax was a major cause of concern in the weeks following the 9/11 attacks, when several media outlets and politicians received letters containing the bacteria.