Police are still investigating the actions of a 35-year-old man who threw his three-year-old son off the roof of a 52-story building, killing the child, and then jumped to his own death. But it's believed that Dmitriy Kanarikov was angry over his divorce and custody battle with his estranged wife. In a statement, she said, "He said he would take the child away and I will 'shoot myself from grief.'... This was his sick way to take Kirill away from me."

On Sunday morning, Kanarikov picked his son Kirill from wife Svetlana Bukharina at the 17th Precinct, a neutral public location that was in between their home in Mill Basin, Brooklyn, where he was living, and her home in NJ. The couple had been fighting over the child—according to Bukharina, he had threatened to kill Kirill if she wouldn't sign over their Brooklyn home (which they bought for $830,000) to him.

She said in a statement, "At first, I opposed the visits and only wanted them to be supervised. But after a Dec. 5 court appearance in Brooklyn, we agreed to follow the New Jersey temporary [custody] order and do alternate visits with a handover at the police precinct. I also volunteered that the father would speak to Kirill on Skype every day."

"I was nervous about the visits, but the father never did anything violent against the child" during earlier December visits, Bukharina said. "Both times, Kirill was happy after seeing his dad. Skype calls were also going well.” On December 18, a judge granted her temporary custody and child support. She said, “He told his parents that he would take the child to Grand Central, and instead went to a building"—124 West 60th Street, near Columbus Circle in Manhattan—"he knew from visiting his friend there before, went to the roof and killed my son."

The police found their bodies on separate buildings just after noon—Kanarikov was dead and the boy succumbed to severe trauma at a hospital shortly after. Bukharina claimed, "He planned it before the visit, and probably after the judge ordered him to pay child support on December 18." The Post reports, "Brooklyn Civil Court Judge Jeffrey Sunshine, who oversaw the pair’s Dec. 18 proceeding, was 'visibly upset and shaken' when he learned of the tragedy, sources said."

Bukharina also alluded to a domestic violence incident that led her to leave her husband and wrote on her Facebook page, "Two mothers lost their sons, except only one had a clear choice in this matter. My son was a very sweet boy who was very much loved. He had a great life, unfortunately it was cut short."

Kanarikov's father told the NY Times that they had plans to have lunch at 2 p.m. on Sunday, "He has never had any problems in life, nothing that would cause him to commit suicide."