The man accused of shooting two police officers in Newark is in custody, captured just blocks from where the shooting took place, the Essex County Prosecutor’s Office has confirmed.

At around 11:10 am on Wednesday, police apprehended 30-year-old East Orange resident Kendall Howard, who was alleged to be linked to the attempted murder of two police officers the day before. He was charged with two counts of attempted murder, unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, officials said.

“This is an ongoing investigation, if there ever was one,” acting Essex County Prosecutor Theodore N. Stephens II said at a press conference, flanked by law enforcement officials, on Wednesday afternoon. “We very recently received and obtained a search warrant to search for additional evidence, which I'm sure will provide everything we need to move forward with this case.”

Law enforcement had launched a multi-agency manhunt for Howard after he allegedly shot two officers Tuesday afternoon.

The New Jersey State PBA celebrated the capture in a brief tweet at about 11:30 a.m.

One officer was shot through the face into the shoulder, and the other was shot in the leg, Newark Public Safety Director Fritz Frage said late Tuesday night. Both remained in the hospital as of that point, in stable condition.

Authorities had not yet issued a formal statement with more information on the case as of noon on Wednesday, but had alerted media to a press conference that would take place at 3 p.m.

Authorities have also not yet said what sort of weapon was used in the shooting.

Acting Essex County Prosecutor Theodore N. Stephens, II says that Kendall Howard, age 30, has been charged with the attempted murder of two Newark police officers on Nov. 1, 2022.

Two police officers had arrived at a building near Van Velsor Place in the city’s South Ward around 1 p.m. on Tuesday responding to a call from a concerned resident who said they recognized a suspect from a police flier about a shooting on Oct. 28 in their building, Mayor Ras Baraka said Tuesday evening. After not finding the suspect in the building, officers made their way to the parking lot in the back of the building, where the suspect was spotted, Baraka said.

Officials said the suspect brandished a gun and shot at both of the officers at close range.

On Tuesday, officers had gone door to door in the apartment building with the aid of a SWAT team, Baraka had said. Neighbors were evacuated as law enforcement sealed off a perimeter. The FBI and several other law enforcement agencies were on site during the search.

At the press conference on Wednesday, New Jersey Attorney General Matt Platkin linked the incident to the gun violence epidemic facing the country and the state of New Jersey.

“Two officers yesterday showed up to work to do their job, and unfortunately, were shot in the line of duty,” he said. “But also six individuals including those two officers across our state were shot last night. And it's that steady drumbeat of violence that we are working so hard to eradicate.”

Catalina Gonella contributed reporting.