Besides worrying about issues when entering a burning building, it seems that the FDNY has other health safety issues in mind, such as finding out the urinal deodorizers they had been using were in fact toxic. Health inspectors found high levels of toxins in city firehouses, and apparently the urinal deodorizers were the culprit. Many deodorizers are made from "paradichlorobenzene, which can cause headaches, blurry vision and tremors, and, in higher doses, nerve damage, liver failure and kidney problems." It is also considered a carcinogen. The FDNY now uses enzyme urinal blocks, which cost twice as much but are much safer.

Gothamist on urinals. The FDNY's tips for a safe holiday season (candles, Christmas trees, etc).