2008_10_smokedetect.jpgFire officials said that the fire on West 18th Street that took the lives of five family members was caused by a "juvenile playing with a lighter or matches." The lone survivor, a 10-year-old boy, is in "dire condition," according to the Post. Fire officials have also been urging New Yorkers to check their smoke detectors and make sure they have batteries and are working (landlords are required to install them in apartment buildings, but tenants must maintain them)--as smoke detectors were disabled in both the apartments of the Chelsea fire and the fatal Bushwick fire. Also, develop an escape plan in case of a fire.