- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- What happens when you find out that white supremacists (or "identitarians") are members of your popular local farmer's market?
- Mike Pompeo gets the New Yorker treatment, and he does not come off well at all: "Pompeo is 'among the most sycophantic and obsequious people around Trump.' Even more bluntly, a former American ambassador told me, 'He’s like a heat-seeking missile for Trump’s ass.'"
- Who in their right minds sleeps with the temperature set at 82 degrees?
- Now this is how you pull off a subway selfie session.
- If only more musicals had theater dogs in attendance, everything would be better.
- Trump says a recession is impossible because "we're all doing tremendously well."
- Vice explains how synthetic drugs are changing the global drug trade.
- Check out the trailer for Bruce Springsteen's upcoming Western Stars companion film, which includes home footage of him and Patti.
- Gizmodo explores why certain social media platforms fail so spectacularly.
- Planned Parenthood will withdraw from Title X, the federal family planning program, rather than comply with a new Trump administration rule that restricts what health providers can say about abortion.
- A 72-year-old man jumped to his death last night from his Manhattan apartment, where cops later found his 78-year-old wife dead on a living room sofa with multiple stab wounds.
- Rolling Stone has a big piece looking at how Woodstock 50 completely fell apart.
- Is meritocracy making you miserable?
- For the first time in 19 weeks, Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road" is not the #1 song in the country.
- A New York couple’s luxurious vacation house in Florida has been taken over by dozens of black vultures that are vomiting and defecating everywhere.
- And finally, this duck really does deserve at least an Emmy:
The Oscar for best death or dying by a duck goes to. pic.twitter.com/FK2fs7bM8S
— jamie (@gnuman1979) August 18, 2019