- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Netflix is expanding the "Bridgerton" universe with a limited spinoff series scripted by Shonda Rhimes of "Grey's Anatomy" fame.
- Israeli forces have destroyed a building in Gaza that's home to Al Jazeera TV, Associated Press, and other media outlets amid the escalating Israel-Hamas conflict. The AP president and CEO Gary Pruitt said in a statement that the world "will know less about what is happening in Gaza because of what happened today."
- The New York Times lays out five scenarios for what the tenor of the Big Apple might be, post-pandemic.
- A Black entomologist recounts his painful encounter with police as he was examining the influx of cicadas at night. "It sucks though that I can't just enjoy beauty of the natural world on a family member's porch without being reminded that to some, I look more like a burglar than a scientist," he said.
- Amid a gas shortage that lasted just several days, here's why panic buying might produce explosive results.
- The owners of an audio and video equipment company can't do anything but laugh knowing their decades-old business is named Covid.
- Damon Weaver—who was nine years old when he interviewed then President Barack Obama, making him the youngest person to interview a sitting president—has died at the age of 23
- And finally, here's one way your feline can grab your attention:
Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2023. Donate today