- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- The New Yorker writes about Elizabeth Warren's 2020 surge: "On many economic issues, Warren has been remarkably prescient. She has spent decades warning Americans about the pernicious effects of income inequality, predatory corporations, and consumer debt, and about the failures of our financial system—issues that are at the heart of the 2020 Presidential campaign."
- The first Democratic debates are happening later this month.
- Mayor Bill de Blasio is calling for a ban of all civilian helicopters in Manhattan following a deadly crash earlier this week.
- Read the horrifying texts of a Border Patrol Agent who railed against unauthorized migrants as “disgusting subhuman shit unworthy of being kindling for a fire."
- According to a Times deep dive on the history of JAB Holding Company, Krispy Kreme’s parent company was once run by full-fledged Nazis.
- A straphanger snatched a man’s phone and hurled it at an oncoming train because he was being recorded spewing anti-Semitic slurs.
- A California valedictorian delivered a scorched-earth graduation speech in which she thanked her guidance counselor for having “absolutely no role in my achievements” and a teacher who was “regularly intoxicated during class.”
- Sleater-Kinney are back with a new album, The Center Won't Hold, in August—catch up with them with this new Fader profile.
- Teenagers share their stories about fighting harassment in the #MeToo era.
- And finally, find your joy wherever you can:
the best minute of your day right here
(Rachael Bruce FB) pic.twitter.com/9TgISJfiA0
— Humor And Animals (@humorandanimals) June 14, 2019