- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Trump really stuck it to Hollywood in a series of rage-fueled tweets and a press conference today: "You talk about racism, Hollywood is racist," he said. "What they're doing with the kind of movies they're putting out is actually very dangerous for our country. What Hollywood is doing is a tremendous disservice to our country."
- What is the safest seat on an airplane? A seasoned pilot gives his take.
- A 63-year-old Bronx man went to the emergency room for knee pain—doctors discovered that his penis was turning to bone.
- NYPD officers admitted that they had "monitored" Antifa protests and meetings, and used names posted online by Antifa to investigate the Proud Boys.
- The DOJ apparently blocked a report showing that white supremacists were responsible for majority of all race-based domestic terrorism incidents since 2018.
- The creator of a viral Tumblr post about extremism explains how and why he created it.
- The only thing more offensive to Instagram than exposed nipples is cartoons about milkshaking.
- Something's going on with Jupiter and it probably isn't good.
- The Times tracks a Bronx woman's overdose and the insane rise of fentanyl. One detective noted, "Some form of fentanyl is found in about 90 percent of drugs purchased by undercover officers in the Bronx."
- An upstate NY man who urinated on his intoxicated friend — and then left him to die on his grandmother’s front lawn — was sentenced to six months behind bars.
- And finally, a dog and a rabbit get into a spirited chase:
Catch me if you can!😂🤗❤ pic.twitter.com/hutbE4ywW6
— The Puppies Club (@thepuppiesclub) August 9, 2019