- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Take some time to read this piece from the Texas Tribune/ProPublica on how the dual forces of climate change and city planning have left Houston especially vulnerable to catastrophic flooding.
- And here's a good round-up of some places you can donate to help those impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
- The Washington Post reported last night that Trump asked Jeff Sessions to kill the case against disgraced Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio months ago.
- The story behind Ear Hustle, the popular podcast made inside a California prison.
- An 18-year-old Ohio resident has been charged in the brutal attack of Deandre Harris in Charlottesville.
- Wired has a deep dive into how the organizers of Burning Man put together — and then take apart — a 70,000-person city in the span of two months.
- Miley-related drama is brewing ahead of tonight's VMAs.
- While we do not recommend keeping an exotic pet in New York City, we do recommend looking at these photographs/stories of the people who do.
- And finally, the news is bad, but some people are good:
Dear God some people give me such hope:
REPORTER: What are you going to do?
HERO: I'm gonna save some lives.pic.twitter.com/Qj2nmvCD97
— Mikel Jollett (@Mikel_Jollett) August 27, 2017