- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Forget hot girl summer, it's hot wild boar summer in Europe.
- Trump will not be eligible for California’s primary ballot unless he releases his tax returns thanks to a new law signed by Gov. Gavin Newsom.
- Where the Crawdads Sing is one of the bestselling debut books of the year—but the dark story behind it is even wilder: "What most of Crawdads’ fans don’t know is that Delia and Mark Owens have been advised never to return to one of the African nations where they once lived and worked, Zambia, because they are wanted for questioning in a murder that took place there decades ago."
- Is drinkable marijuana the next big thing, or is Big Alcohol making a really dumb bet?
- Mitch McConnell is very unhappy with his new "Moscow Mitch" moniker, it would be a terrible shame if we all started referring to Moscow Mitch like that.
- Woman marries Good Boy.
- Are these the 18 best Quentin Tarantino scenes?
- A woman was beaten and kidnapped by a man in Austria, and thought he was going to kill her—but she was able to survive, in part by connecting with her kidnapper over orchids.
- Alan Dershowitz really doesn't want to back down from his belief that the age of consent should be lowered.
- Robert De Niro is in talks to join Leonard DiCaprio to star in Martin Scorsese's next film, Killers Of The Flower Moon.
- Read the confessions of an Internet meme.
- Why did Joe Lhota abruptly leave the MTA last fall? Not for the reasons Cuomo and Lhota gave, but because the New York state ethics board had deemed him too burdened by potential conflicts of interest to continue serving.
- Philippe Reines, a former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State & Senior Advisor to Hillary Clinton who played Trump during debate prep with Clinton, tells Politico how he thinks Democrats can beat Trump.
- And finally, here is a beautiful angel dog whose walk is absolutely fine, regardless of what this caption reads:
this is sarah, she has special needs and walks with a dance. hopes to encourage you to be the best version of you
(superstarsarah2019 IG) pic.twitter.com/BrsvJH6v0V
— Humor And Animals (@humorandanimals) July 30, 2019