- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- The Internal Revenue Service has moved tax day from April 15th to May 15th, according to the New York Times. This is a good a time as any to remind you that TurboTax has spent decades lobbying Congress to block the federal government from issuing its own free tax filing software. (You may be able to file in New York State for free, check your eligibility here.)
- Captain Ahab was right: intelligent sperm whales quickly adapted to being attacked by blubber-thirsty, 19th century whalers, according to a fascinating study by the Royal Society and reported in the Guardian.
- Remember Louise Linton? OK, remember President Trump's Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin? Louise Linton is his wife—you know, the actress who posed provocatively with some fresh dollar bills? Yeah, so her directorial debut, Me You Madness, is out and while it looks absolutely terrible, Defector Media has culled the cringeworthy highlights that are worth 30 seconds of your time.
- Do NOT challenge Makola Abdullah, the president of Virginia State University, to a game of one-on-one unless you like having your ankles broken on camera.
- East River Park is still poised to partially shut down this spring, so the city can raise it eight feet to protect it from sea level rise. The project is $73 million over budget, and a group of activists are still trying to halt the work. EV Grieve has the details.
- Ever wonder how and why Facebook continues to spread disinformation? MIT's Technology Review has a scathing (and highly readable) investigation.
- Meanwhile, back on the farm:
Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2023. Donate today