- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- The federal government sent coronavirus stimulus payments to almost 1.1 million dead people, totaling nearly $1.4 billion.
- Donald Trump is very mad that Mayor Bill de Blasio reportedly wants to install a Black Lives Matter mural outside Trump Tower: “Told that NYCMayor Bill de Blasio wants to paint the fabled & beautiful Fifth Avenue, right in front of Trump Tower/Tiffany, with a big yellow Black Lives Matter sign. ‘Pigs in a Blanket, Fry ‘Em Like Bacon’, referring to killing Police, is their chant. NYC Police are furious!”
- The parent company of rat pizza emporium Chuck E. Cheese has filed for bankruptcy.
- Jeff Bezos has purchased the naming rights to Key Arena in Seattle and is renaming it Climate Pledge Arena.
- R.I.P. Prospect Heights bar The Way Station.
- The NY Times Magazine has a very good profile of Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer about what it's like to run a state during an unprecedented crisis.
- A-frame houses are having a comeback for the Instagram set.
- Jon Stewart explained why he was voting for Joe Biden on The Late Show: “We are a country in terrible anguish right now. We are in pain,” he said. “We are fearful and we are angry, and we are in pain. And when I see Biden past the shtick, I see a guy who knows what loss is, who knows grief. And I think that that kind of grief humbles you.”
- Splash Mountain is being renamed and rethemed after years of criticism about the racist origins of the ride.
- A top curator at The Met made an Instagram post that seemed critical of protests over monuments, sparking an internal debate over "the expression of a deeply rooted logic of white supremacy and culture of systemic racism at our institution."
- I cannot stress this enough: watch this entire clip of Roseanne until the end.
- And finally, the most ridiculous yawn you've ever seen in your life:
Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2023. Donate today