- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- President Trump got his July 4th multi-million dollar display of military pageantry, where he casually disclosed airports existed in 1775. See? America has always been great.
- Joey "Jaws" Chestnut will keep his hot dog throne, winning the coveted Mustard Belt for the 12th time after housing 71 franks in 10 minutes.
- An informative look inside the splintering enterprise of weather forecasts.
- The pitiful Knicks won't be getting better anytime soon, and it's James Dolan's fault.
- An update on what the hell is going on with the Queens District Attorney's race, which is still too close to call.
- The oldest living American may be a Harlem woman who just turned 114.
- Remember the Department of Investigations Commissioner who spent public money stockpiling weapons and tactical gear? He's a bike-bashing correspondent over at CBS now.
- The third season of Stranger Thing premiered on Netflix yesterday. A three-day Coney Island takeover, with themed rides and food carts, starts tonight.
- The life-ruining MacBook keyboard may soon be a thing of the past.
- Queens is the most diverse county in the country, according to a new analysis of census data.
- And finally, let's all remember the time that San Diego accidentally set off all their fireworks at the same time:
today is the 7th anniversary of san diego accidentally setting off their entire show at the same time, resulting in the funniest and most efficient fireworks show ever
(CAUTION: LOUD 😂) pic.twitter.com/4qJ2h63HFy
— tiger swan lady (@mrs_hippiequeen) July 4, 2019