- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- President Donald Trump tweeted that he'll be too busy fighting what he continues to stupidly call "the China virus" to throw out the first pitch at Yankee Stadium next month; so we can safely assume he'll be too busy to play golf at this time.
- After nearly a quarter-century in business, Bennie's Thai Cafe on Fulton Street is closing due to bad business during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Because it's the summer of 2020, a couple wearing face coverings with swastikas went shopping at a Walmart in Minnesota, warning shoppers, “If you vote for Biden, you’re going to be in Nazi Germany. That’s what it’s gonna be like."
- The body of U.S. Congressman and civil rights icon John Lewis is lying in state in the Alabama state capitol building in Montgomery after a horse-drawn carriage delivered him across the Edmund Pettus bridge one final time.
- The Times checks in on midtown Manhattan and finds a sad, scary ghost town.
- A riot was declared in the city of Portland, Oregon and federal agents fired tear gas at protesters during demonstrations marking two months since the day George Floyd was killed.
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro announced that he's coronavirus-free, posing for a photo with a box of the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine, which has not been proven to cure COVID-19 and could have harmful side effects.
- A social media influencer was arrested in Hawaii after she posted videos showing her dancing in a store and dining out when she was supposed to self-quarantining.
- And finally, here's a particularly odd animal video:
Extra, Extra: In Offensive Tweet, Trump Cancels Controversial Visit To Yankee Stadium In August
A new Gothamist is coming! We’ve moved comments over to our beta site. Click here to join the conversation and get a preview of our new website.
Recent in News
Featured in News
"It puts more of a burden on New York — puts more of a burden on 49 other states."
Read More In: