- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- One of the many wild fires raging through California right now was sparked by a "pyrotechnic device" used during a gender reveal party, according to state officials — the country's second major blaze prompted by a gender reveal explosive in three years.
- Tennis star Novak Djokovic was booted from the U.S. Open after accidentally rocketing a ball into a line judge's throat on Sunday.
- In response to a Tucker Carlson segment on Fox News, President Trump is now seeking to defund racial sensitivity training for federal agencies, calling the workshops “un-American propaganda.”
- Rihanna is recovering from a minor injury involving an e-scooter, her representatives told People after she was spotted with a bruised face.
- Despite the pandemic, Christopher Nolan's Tenet scored $20 million at the box office this weekend.
- Janet Malcolm has a deeply fascinating new essay in the NY Review of Books about her libel trial, featuring a speech therapist and some juicy New Yorker gossip.
- Roughly half of the country's largest police departments have banned or strengthened restrictions on the use of neck restraints since the killing of George Floyd, a Washington Post analysis found.
- No one agrees on who really founded Labor Day.
- Governor Andrew Cuomo is digging in his heels and refusing to raise taxes on the ultra-wealthy to help close a $14 billion budget gap, according to the Times.
- And finally, get off the internet and go to the beach already.
Extra Extra: Gender Reveal Party Sparks Massive Fire, Again
Recent in News
Featured in News
"It puts more of a burden on New York — puts more of a burden on 49 other states."
Read More In: