- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- A Florida GOP candidate for congress who says she was abducted by aliens at 7 and has been in touch with the aliens telepathically ever since said those experiences don't define her, and I beg to differ.
- John Lennon's killer Mark David Chapman will remain behind bars.
- The NY Times has a video-and-text feature on dogs in poofy dresses, what more do you people want?!
- Here is 2018 in a nutshell.
- A new food hall is coming to the Garment District in Midtown.
- Sen. John McCain and his family announced he will discontinue treatment for brain cancer.
- Headline of the day: "Developer Aims To Explore Female Sexuality With A Game That Lets You Bone ISIS To Death."
- RIP Robin Leach.
- The Hollywood Reporter looks back at a summer filled with Fox News technical errors, editorial mistakes, inappropriate remarks, and apologies.
- The candidates who don't know they're candidates: the embattled Queens Democratic machine has been stacking county committees with unsuspecting senior citizens, presumably to keep out reformers.
- Edgar Wright is at the top of the list of possible directors to replace Danny Boyle on the next Bond movie, and that makes me VERY excited.
- Make sure you watch to the very end of this weekend’s finale of Sharp Objects.
- Conan O'Brien has been trying and failing to book Robert Caro on his show for years: "It's like the White Whale writing Ahab a note, saying, 'Hey, man. We've got to get together. I'm a fan!'" Here is our interview with Robert Caro instead.
- And finally, go out there and show those cars who's boss:
He’s trying to bite the cars that pass 😂 pic.twitter.com/OGJHcZCUxG
— Cute Emergency (@CuteEmergency) August 24, 2018