- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Because he was upset that Nancy Pelosi told him he shouldn't do the State of the Union during the Trump government shutdown, Trump responded by writing her a letter saying Pelosi can't use military aircraft for her overseas trip to visit US combat zones.
- Fucking Louis C.K. said during a gig this week that, "I like to jerk off, and I don’t like being alone," and made the ludicrous declaration, "The whole point of comedy is to say things that you shouldn’t say. That’s the entire point."
- Some good news out of Wisconsin: a judge has struck down Republicans' early-voting restrictions which were adopted in a December lame-duck legislative session.
- Ezra Koenig announced that Vampire Weekend will be releasing a double album in a few months, and the band will release "three 2-song drops every month until the record is out" starting next week.
- Will Trump's base finally turn against him because of the shutdown?
- Finally! Check out the first trailer for Steven Soderbergh's upcoming Netflix basketball movie, High Flying Bird, coming out next month.
- Do you wear the "new mom uniform of Park Slope?"
- RIP poet Mary Oliver—don't miss out on this lovely 2013 feature on her from the NY Times.
- No duh headline of the day: "Man’s attempt to treat back pain with semen injections goes horribly wrong."
- Richard Spencer’s wife has started a GoFundMe to help fund her divorce in order to leave her "abusive marriage."
- Graphic designer Oren Aks, the ex-Jerry Media employee who blows the lid on their complicity in Fyre Fest fraud in the new Hulu documentary, talks about his life since the disastrous festival.
- Restaurateur Salt Bae is being sued for withholding tips from staffers of his Manhattan steakhouse, and firing anyone who complained about it.
- Future discussed his new album and his regrets over popularizing lean in an interview with Rolling Stone.
- And finally, THIS IS FINE:
Those tongue 🐶 pic.twitter.com/CjBNDbTGQK
— Puppies 🐶 (@PopularPups) January 17, 2019