- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- President Donald Trump is refusing to acknowledge reality that he lost the election because he doesn’t want to, according to the Daily Beast: “The way he sees it is: Why should I ever let this go?… How would that benefit me?” a source said.
- Talk show host Larry King has reportedly been hospitalized in LA for COVID-19.
- In Italy, the mafia is harnessing social media for brand awareness. According to an organized crime expert, “The mafia has always been in the business of brand building, and here the medium has changed, but the aims have not.”
- The University of Texas at Austin fired football coach Tom Herman and will have to pay him and his assistant coaches more than $25 million for the remainders of their contracts. Alabama’s offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian will be the new coach for the Longhorns. Meanwhile, KUT reports that “UT Austin officials were asked to make $28 million in cuts because of funding concerns due to the pandemic.”
- Do you like hand chairs? Hand bench? Hand tapestry? Pointing hand sculpture? Have I got a SoHo luxury pad for you.
- Some creative directors and actors have found a way to channel their pandemic experiences into web series and podcasts.
- Nicki Minaj’s little baby boy is already better dressed than everyone else.
- And finally, we’re hearing reports that Xiao Qi Ji, the National Zoo’s giant panda cub, has reached new heights of cuteness. Confirmed:
🐼 Giant panda cub Xiao Qi Ji continues to explore & take on new challenges—like climbing up rockwork in the indoor habitat he shares with mom Mei Xiang. He’s getting stronger, more coordinated & 💯 still an adorable little nugget. 😍 #PandaStory pic.twitter.com/AXcb253ABX— National Zoo (@NationalZoo) January 1, 2021