- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- There are over 600 more billionaires now than there were before the pandemic began, and Forbes finds that the vast majority of all the billionaires are even richer than they were before.
- All you need for a good time is an air mattress and a murky pond in Central Park.
- A former Wall Street Journal reporter is spending a month walking from D.C. to NYC, "to see folks, talk to them about where we’ve come as a country, where we’re going as a country."
- Good Samaritans stopped a man from shoving an Asian woman onto the subway tracks twice on Wednesday at the G train station at Grand Street and Metropolitan Avenue.
- A Long Island federal judge was killed by an allegedly drugged up driver as she walked on a sidewalk in Boca Raton Florida on Friday morning.
- Mayoral candidate Andrew Yang is weathering a backlash after calling for a crackdown on unlicensed street vendors.
- A Black US Army officer has filed a lawsuit against two Virginia police officers who pointed their guns at him and pepper sprayed him during a traffic stop in December.
- A fourth grade teacher in California who traveled to D.C. to protest the election of Joe Biden faces intensifying calls for her dismissal, but she also has considerable support among conservative residents who believe the big lie that the election was stolen from Trump.
- Read the New Yorker's terrifying deep-dive on the Chinese government's totalitarian oppression of Uyghurs and Kazakhs.
- And finally, the world would be utter chaos without bears to maintain order:
Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2023. Donate today