Con Ed has been having some bad luck with the East Village. If it's it not electrified grates injuring people and animals, it's a manhole fire at Avenue B and East 12th Street. At 8:30PM last night, a fire started at a manhole. The manhole fire caused the electrical panel in the basement of 183 Avenue B to explode, injuring a firefighter. Residents of area buildings evacuated. One neighbor described the manhole incident to the Times, "I heard a very loud boom and a woman screamed at the top of her lungs. I was really scared and I didn't know what was going on." Another resident said, "Here we go again."

Check out flame retardant clothing. And some East Village bar should make a Flaming Moe for the 'hood.