- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Before he even arrived in London, Trump attacked Mayor Sadiq Khan on Twitter by comparing him to "our very dumb and incompetent Mayor of NYC, de Blasio, who has also done a terrible job - only half his height." De Blasio of course relished the opportunity to unleash his precious #ConDon hashtag in response.
- A British teenager spent his weekend preparing for Trump's arrival by mowing an outline of a penis with the words “oi Trump” and “climate change is real” on a field below Air Force One’s flightpath.
- Maybe this is why Jared Kushner has avoided interviews on camera for so long: watch Kushner squirm when pressed on whether Trump is racist.
- Headline of the day: "Hero dad punched shark in face to save daughter during attack."
- Nearly 50 years ago, one man ‘invented’ the modern smiley face—then another man halfway across the world made it into a multimillion-dollar cash cow.
- The Ringer made a list of the best "actors playing themselves" movie cameos.
- Stephen Colbert talked to the Times about the art of political satire.
- Fantasy card game Magic: The Gathering is being turned into an animated Netflix show by the Russo brothers.
- RIP Williamsburg bar Mugs Alehouse.
- Bon Iver released two songs from an upcoming new album.
- A man has died of injuries stemming from a fireworks accident in Newark.
- This is a lovely piece about coming out as transgender at 37 and how "in some small way, The Handmaid’s Tale spurred me to confront my gender."
- And finally, THIS DOG DID NOTHING WRONG:
it's a really long story karen, where should i begin ?
(adventureswithlinandfern IG) pic.twitter.com/9LkHNgtlvT
— Humor And Animals (@humorandanimals) June 1, 2019