- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Another bouncy castle went flying on the wind, this time injuring an elderly woman in upstate New York.
- Professor Matthew McConaughey is dropping "wisdom bombs" at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Former Saturday Night Live cast member Taran Killam says Trump's hosting of the show during the presidential campaign "only grows more embarrassing and shameful" as time goes on.
- Wired has a big profile on the Japanese creator of the “most beautiful woman” android, which "operates autonomously, parsing human speech and using neural network technology to fashion replies."
- Trump has nominated 50 candidates to lifetime appointments to the federal bench, "including a man who asserted transgender children were evidence of 'Satan’s plan,' one deemed unqualified by the American Bar Association and a handful of prolific bloggers," Politico reports.
- Drivers’ cellphone addiction is causing a widely underreported bloodbath on America’s roads.
- Step inside the secret Swiss mountain bunker where millionaires store their precious cryptographic bitcoin keys.
- An enraged man who shattered glass doors at a Staten Island bowling alley was probably just trying to show Larry what happens when you fight a stranger in the Alps.
- And lastly, you think Beaker can front when Revelation comes?
Take a minute of your day to revel in a Beastie Boys/Muppets mashup pic.twitter.com/xdkP5prl4h
— Meredith Frost (@MeredithFrost) October 17, 2017