- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- General Services Administrator Emily Murphy has been dragging her feet on formalizing Joe Biden's transition into the White House because she feels political pressure, and her colleague told CNN, "I think she's absolutely making the wrong decision. President-elect Biden clearly won. And there really is no question about that... It is wrong to delay, even by another minute, the signing of the ascertainment."
- There was a whole mishegoss in Michigan yesterday when G.O.P. members of the elections board in Wayne County initially refused to certify the election results, then reversed their decision after an outcry. I highly recommend watching this video of Ned Staebler, a Wayne County Board Member of Canvassers, chastise those two members for refusing to certify.
- David Roth remains the poet laureate of Trump articles, and his latest missive on a post-election Trump is real good: "It is hard to imagine any president whose life has changed less for having assumed the responsibilities of the office. The rest of us cannot say the same. The whole country is trapped in Trump’s gilded and claustrophobic life; the days repeat themselves, failures arriving first as tragedy, then as farce, and finally as some tonally confounding simultaneous expression of both."
- The FAA has cleared Boeing’s 737 Max to begin flying again 20 months after it was grounded following two fatal crashes that resulted in 346 deaths.
- According to a new Reuters poll, about half of all Republicans believe Donald Trump "rightfully won" the U.S. election but that it was stolen from him by widespread voter fraud that favored President-elect Joe Biden.
- Getting sick of NYC? You could always move to Serbia like these people.
- Michael B. Jordan is People's Sexiest Man Alive 2020.
- Who really deserves credit for the coronavirus vaccines? The scientists: "The new vaccine candidates are the result of years of unglamorous basic science research and hard-fought battles for funding. If that truth lacks the narrative excitement 'Warp Speed' suggests, that doesn’t make it any less inspiring."
- Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn talked to the Times about their upcoming Netflix holiday film, and it includes this absolutely perfect statement from Russell: "I’ll never forget when I saw The Passion of the Christ and went, 'Mel discovered something that nobody figured out for all this time we’ve been making movies.' If you do anything that’s historical, especially the Bible, and you do it in an original language, it gives it a sense of authenticity. And when I saw that, and I read this script, I thought, elvish will give this a sense of authenticity."
- Watch Big Thief’s Adrianne Lenker play five songs from songs and instrumentals, one of the best albums of the year, for Tiny Desk Concert.
- Also watch music videos for The Weather Station's "Tried To Tell You" and Kevin Morby's "Don't Underestimate Midwest American Sun."
- And finally, seals truly are the dogs of the sea:
Early Addition: Scientists Deserve The Credit For Any Coronavirus Vaccines
Recent in News
Featured in News
"It puts more of a burden on New York — puts more of a burden on 49 other states."
Read More In: