- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Rudy Giuliani is understandably concerned that his legacy will be that of lying for Trump—he also let slip to The New Yorker that he has "been through all the tapes," then denies there are any tapes.
- Ugh, the Supreme Court revived the Trump administration’s policy of barring most transgender people from serving in the military in a 5-4 vote.
- Here are all the Oscar nominations: big winners include Roma (Yalitza Aparicio! Marina de Tavira!), The Favourite, Cold War (Best Director, Cinematography, Best Foreign Language), and the Coen Brothers, who got a deserved Adapted Screenplay nod. Losers include Ethan Hawke/First Reformed (snubbed in everything but Original Screenplay), any female directors (Lynne Ramsay totally overlooked), Bradley Cooper (no Best Director), and people who hate Green Book (which got a lot of nominations).
- CBS has rejected a proposed TV ad during the Super Bowl that called for the legalization of medical marijuana.
- Listen to the first single, "Viktor Borgia," from Stephen Malkmus' wonderfully weird electronic album Groove Denied.
- Deadspin urges everyone to believe what they saw in the videos with the Covington Catholic MAGA teens and the Native American protesters: "Nothing about the video showing the offensive language of Black Israelites changes how upsetting it was to see the Covington students, and Sandmann in particular, stare at Phillips with such contempt. I don’t see how you could watch this and think otherwise unless you’re willing to gaslight yourself, and others, in the service of granting undeserved sympathy to the privileged."
- Blind YouTubers are trying to make the Internet more accessible.
- Here's an ode to LiveJournal and the golden days of personal blogging.
- Chris Brown has been arrested in Paris on suspicion of rape.
- The NLRB’s current general counsel Peter Robb hates Scabby The Rat so much, he wants to find a way to make it "unlawful to picket, strike or handbill with the rat present."
- Amazing: in recent months, Trump’s official Facebook and Instagram accounts have published photos of the president that have been manipulated to make him look thinner.
- And finally, what is he dreaming about?
He is dreaming 🐶 pic.twitter.com/AtBO7F01Na
— Puppies 🐶 (@PopularPups) January 22, 2019