- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Mike Bloomberg is doing well enough at the polls to qualify for Wednesday’s Democratic debate in Las Vegas, where I'm sure the other Democratic candidates will welcome him with open arms.
- Meanwhile, Elizabeth Warren's campaign and supporters are trying to spur a comeback for her.
- The Boy Scouts of America has filed for bankruptcy protection.
- Are floating hotels and office buildings the answer to rising sea levels?
- An African American model at a Fashion Institute of Technology runway show says she was pressured to wear bizarre, “racist” accessories like “monkey ears” and oversize lips.
- Why did Susan Collins throw away her reputation as a moderate on supporting Donald Trump? Maybe it's because she was never really a moderate to begin with: "When she was weighing the question of whether to vote for witnesses in the Senate trial, she earned breathless headlines trumpeting the possibility. It was a cycle that created the illusion of consequential independence without her ever having to cast a consequential vote."
- Former Uber engineer Susan Fowler spoke out about sexual harassment there—now she's written a book about the interpersonal and emotional costs of speaking out publicly against a corporation.
- RIP Charles Portis, the incredible author of True Grit, The Dog Of The South, Gringos, Norwood and more.
- Vice looks at examples of hostile architecture around the country.
- Vulture ranked every Jim Carrey movie.
- Infinitely comforting headline of the day: "Pigeon That Can't Fly And Special Needs Chihuahua Form Fast Friendship At New York Rescue."
- Listen to new songs by Waxahatchee, King Krule, Thundercat and Pearl Jam.
- And finally, a very cute wriggly monster:
We rely on your support to make local news available to all
Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2023. Donate today