- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- At least 11 people have died in the Midwest due to the extreme cold weather.
- A Trump administration inquiry has found no evidence to support the president’s claims that prayer rugs have been found at the Mexican border or that smugglers are binding women with duct tape to traffic them.
- Donald Trump Jr. thinks that the N in SNL stands for "and."
- The constitution guarantees poor defendants a lawyer—it doesn't say the lawyer will have enough time to work all their cases.
- A life-sized stuffed panda bear was spotted perched in a tree in Park Slope.
- The City Council is weighing whether to ban flavored e-cigs and menthols.
- Honestly, YA Twitter sounds like a terrifying place.
- People are vying to make a big profit off of the world record Instagram egg—and Jerry Media, of course, is involved.
- Vanity Fair has a nice feature piece on the 25 most influential movie scenes of the last 25 years.
- New York and Washington allow parents to refuse vaccinations for non-medical reasons. Both states are experiencing major measles outbreaks, and this is not a coincidence.
- If you bring in a photo of your ex and run it through a shredder, you can get a free drink at the Seneca in Ridgewood on Valentine's Day
- The city wants to give The Strand landmark status—but not everyone, including the store's current owner, wants it.
- And finally, jailbreak did not go as planned:
You can't contain me 🐶 pic.twitter.com/yzm6ORBGR1
— Puppies 🐶 (@PopularPups) January 31, 2019