- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Axios has an interview with Donald Trump that is like a nightmare SNL sketch, in which Trump flails about with charts trying to prove that the staggering number of coronavirus deaths in the U.S. isn't as bad as it factually is.
- The U.S. Census Bureau is ending all counting efforts for the 2020 census on September 30th, a month sooner than previously announced, which sounds like a complete disaster.
- A NJ mansion party with hundreds of attendees, "most without face covering and some passing out drunk," was broken up over the weekend.
- Suffolk County police rescued an 88-year-old man after he fell into a collapsed cesspool at his North Bay Shore home.
- America desperately needs a bar and restaurant bailout, but will politicians do anything to help struggling businesses?
- The obituary for a Texas man who died of coronavirus included a pointed message for Donald Trump and Texas Gov. Greg Abbott: “Family members believe David’s death was needless,” his wife wrote. “They blame his death and the deaths of all the other innocent people, on Trump, Abbott and all the politicians who did not take this pandemic seriously and were more concerned with their popularity and votes than lives.”
- Mayor Bill de Blasio has repeatedly blamed court delays and bail reform for the surge in gun violence, but the NYPD’s own numbers tell a different story.
- Trying to get out of a relationship? You could always hire a saboteur to seduce your spouse or their partner.
- A NY nurse argues that teachers need to suck it up and go to classrooms, because they are essential workers now (even though teachers did not sign up to work around sick people like nurses and doctors do, and children can be far more chaotic than adults when it comes to following rules, and there aren't tons of safety measures in place as with hospitals, and now that I think about it, her argument is kind of falling apart).
- Listen to a collaboration between Kelly Lee Owens and John Cale, "Corner Of My Sky."
- The Ringer has an oral history of Coyote Ugly.
- And finally, somebody really needs to fix this door:
Early Addition: Trump Argues That Total COVID-19 Death Count Doesn't Matter In New Interview
Recent in News
Featured in News
If finalized, the maps could lead to high-profile primaries among veteran lawmakers.
Read More In: