- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Trump can't stop, won't stop attacking black critics, even as he "gathered his own African-American allies at the White House to defend him against charges of racism."
- A serial pooper was caught on video on Staten Island, but they are still on the run.
- CNN will penalize any candidates (ahem, de Blasio) who interrupt each other during this week's Democratic debates.
- Are you ready for the tap-and-go subway era (in 2021)?
- ProPublica reports that some suburban families in Chicago are giving up guardianship of their kids so they can in turn declare financial independence and get scholarships and financial aid money from colleges and universities that's earmarked for kids who really need it.
- A software engineer in Seattle hacked into a server holding customer information for Capital One and obtained the personal data of over 100 million people—and she made it very easy for feds to find her.
- A model lied about being transgender to deflect from transphobic comments she made that got her fired from her agency.
- The Internet isn't killing language—it's just helping it evolve.
- Have you seen these 75 escaped bison roaming around New York?
- The BBC explains how the sound in your office can affect your mood.
- Cardi B and Bernie Sanders are going to figure out how to get this country back on track together.
- Watch as Robert Pattinson and Willem DaFoe go crazy and fight an octopus in the spooky first trailer for director Robert Eggers' The Lighthouse.
- Listen to a new single from Angel Olsen, who'll release a new album in October.
- And finally, we may never know who stole the cookies:
Heard a sound come from the kitchen and noticed four fresh cookies went missing. pic.twitter.com/uqK8WLvb12
— Aaron (@AaronMicron) July 29, 2019