- Follow Gothamist on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and like us on Facebook. You can also get the top stories mailed to you—sign up here.
- Martin O'Malley announced he won't be running for president in 2020, but he hopes Beto O'Rourke does.
- An American Airlines flight from LAX to JFK was forced to make an emergency landing after what a passenger described as a "sudden burst of smoke" on board.
- Nancy Pelosi said that it remains open for discussion whether the Justice Department could indict a sitting president.
- The median price of a Manhattan apartment has dipped below $1 million for the first time in three years.
- Yelp has compiled a list of the top 100 places to go eat in NYC in 2019.
- Jonny Greenwood paid tribute to comedian Bob Einstein, noting that he has used the name "Marty Funkhauser" to check into hotels on Radiohead's last two tours.
- The NY Times sent Jada Yuan to 52 places in 2018—here's what she learned.
- McNally Jackson Books will reportedly stay at their longtime home on Prince Street after all.
- Childish Gambino, Tame Impala, and Ariana Grande will be the main headliners for Coachella 2019.
- What's really going on inside The School of Practical Philosophy?
- A horse got stuck in a swimming pool to start the new year!
- What's going to happen in tech in 2019? Here are some predictions.
- And finally, can any of us really know Chowder?
Meet Chowder pic.twitter.com/RnqJyWhX0P
— Puppies 🐶 (@PopularPups) January 3, 2019