A 24-year-old man was found guilty of aggravated vehicular homicide, second-degree manslaughter and other charges for killing a NYC Transit bus driver while driving a stolen truck. "Because of Domonic Whilby's reckless decisions, a beloved family member and public servant is dead. This was a devastating and utterly preventable tragedy," Manhattan D.A. Cyrus Vance said following the conviction.

In February 2014, Whilby, visiting from Georgia, had been partying with his uncle, model Tyson Beckford, at model Shanina Shaik's birthday party, starting at Butter in Midtown and then going to 1 OAK in the Meatpacking District. He was reportedly escorted from 1 OAK because he was "getting too friendly with some female fashion week partiers." He then went to the Dream Hotel nearby, allegedly passing out in the lobby—he had been drinking over a five-hour period and had a blood alcohol content of .18—and becoming upset that a limousine wasn't around to pick him up. That's when Whilby stole a truck, used by 18 Rabbits Granola, on West 16th Street and sped off after crashing into the walls of the loading dock and other vehicles.

Just after 5:30 a.m., Whilby crashed into an M14 bus driven by William Pena on 14th Street at 7th Avenue. The truck and bus then struck scaffolding on the corner. Pena was ejected from the bus and died at the scene.

Whilby was charged with murder, but he was acquitted of that charge. According to the Post, "Defense lawyer Laura Miranda argued at trial that Whilby was so hammered he was barely conscious and unable to form murderous intent. 'All accidents are tragic, particularly in this case where there were individuals hurt and a life lost, a life that was dear to many — but not all tragedies are crimes,' she told jurors in closing statements."

Pena's widow, Nancy Rodriguez, was devastated by the verdict according to the Times. She said, "It’s horrible. What message is being sent? An innocent man goes to work. He is doing his job and he gets killed." She added that she hoped the judge would "[impose] the maximum sentence."

TWU Local 100's Richard Davis told the Daily News, “We did not get that top charge that we were looking for, for justice on behalf of our members, and that did not happen, so we're certainly disappointed in this verdict. It's just pure murder for us."