Prosecutors say that the Maryland driver who struck numerous cars in Tribeca—including one that overturned and caught fire, killing its driver—was going 100 mph during the crash. Assistant District Attorney Courtney Groves said, "The defendant’s inexplicable recklessness resulted in an entirely avoidable, tragic death to a woman who was on her way to work."

On December 29th, just after 7 a.m., police say Sherman Harrison, 37, was driving his Audi north on West Street near Laight Street when he first hit a Honda CRV, driven by Amy Phillipson. The impact of the crash sent Phillipson's vehicle up the street:

Then, according to the NYPD, Harrison continued north and hit a Toyota pick-up truck, which crashed into a Hyundai sedan. The truck driver, a 28-year-old man, and the Hyundai driver, a 69-year-old woman, were treated at nearby hospitals, while Phillipson was pronounced dead at the scene by EMS.

Harrison allegedly tried to flee the scene with his Rottweiler but officers apprehended him. He was taken to Bellevue Hospital, where he was charged with manslaughter and leaving the scene of an accident. A charge of criminally negligent homicide was later added.

He appeared at his arraignment on Wednesday by closed circuit camera from the hospital. According to WABC 7, "Harrison had blown through three red lights before the accident, police said. A .40-caliber Glock magazine loaded with 17 rounds was found inside his car."

The Daily News reports, "Harrison, wearing light blue hospital scrubs, interrupted the virtual proceeding several times. Some of his outbursts were incoherent, prompting Judge Kevin McGrath to ask his lawyer if a psychiatric fitness exam was necessary." He exclaimed "I’m gonna stop! I’m gonna stop myself or the court!"

Harrison is being held without bail. His lawyer said, "My client was in shock and is still in shock, your honor…If he’s released, we can work with the family to set him up with some sort of intensive mental health program. He is right now not himself. He is grieving."

Phillipson was headed to work as a customer service rep at a FedEx call center. Her family said she usually took the subway to work.