Days after a two-year-old boy was attacked and dragged into a lake by an alligator, Disney World has installed fencing around the man-made Seven Seas Lagoon. Disney said, "We are installing signage and temporary barriers at our resort beach locations and are working on permanent, long-term solutions at our beaches."
On the evening of June 14, the child, Lane Graves, had been wading along the shore of the Grand Floridian, a Disney resort on the Orlando theme park's property, when he was pulled further into the water by an alligator.
His father, Matt Graves, tried to fight off the alligator but was unsuccessful. The next day, a dive team found the boy's body intact.
Prior to the attack, there were only signs along the water that said "No Swimming." Now there are signs that say "Danger. Alligators and snakes in area. Stay away from the water. Do not feed the wildlife." While local and state officials said that Disney had a "proactive" wildlife management that removed alligators, other reports and videos have emerged of alligators on the property.
The Wrap reported, "Numerous employees at the theme park expressed anxiety to management about guests feeding the animals within the past 14 months," an insider with knowledge of the resort told TheWrap, but guests at expensive rooms enjoyed being able to feed alligators.
Other hotels in Orlando that have similar lagoons apparently have had signs warning guests about alligators. Florida wildlife officials are trying to find the alligator that killed Lane.
The fencing was installed on Friday. The statement from Disney also said, "We continue to evaluate processes and procedures for our entire property, and, as part of this, we are reinforcing training with our cast for reporting sightings and interactions with wildlife and are expanding our communication to Guests on this topic."
Matt Graves, his wife Melissa and their four-year-old daughter are preparing for Lane's funeral services on Tuesday. The couple as released a statement on their church's website, "Melissa and I continue to deal with the loss of our beloved boy, Lane, and are overwhelmed with the support and love we have received from family and friends in our community as well as from around the country. We understand the public’s interest, but as we move forward this weekend, we ask for and appreciate the privacy we need to lay our son to rest. Neither Melissa, myself or anyone from our family will be speaking publicly; we simply cannot at this time."