A campaign for users of Uber to delete their accounts flooded social media this weekend, spurred by claims that the company had broken a taxi drivers' strike on Saturday and broader dissatisfaction about the firm's connections to President Donald Trump.

Apparently launched by a tweet from writer and Twitter personality Dan O'Sullivan, the campaign quickly spread across Twitter and Facebook, with people posting screenshots showing their explanations for deleting the popular e-hail app.

O'Sullivan claimed that in response to an announced one-hour taxi drivers strike on picking up or dropping off passengers at JFK Saturday evening, the firm had turned off surge pricing at JFK. (He pointed to a tweet from the Uber_NYC corporate account announcing the surge suspension)

He then continued to tweet criticism of Uber CEO Travis Kalanick for his decision to advise President Trump on technology and made reference to the firm's checkered past on labor issues. Soon, hundreds of Twitter and Facebook users were posting with the #deleteuber hashtag.

Reports on Uber's motivations for turning off surge pricing (and on the actual outcome of the surge suspension) remain conflicting. Critics of the company's action have said that the suspension was an attempt to keep taxis flowing in and out of the airport, thereby mitigating the disruption of the driver strike. However, others have pointed out that turning off surge pricing would generally reduce drivers' incentive to head out to Kennedy to pick up passengers. (A spokesperson from Uber told Gothamist that generally speaking, driver volume drops during surge suspensions and riders therefore wait longer in these situations.)

The Uber spokesperson confirmed that the firm wanted to ensure that people, including protesters, could get to and from JFK, but she denied that the company had sought to challenge the strike.

"We are horrified by the idea that anyone thinks we would try to break a strike," she said.

Kalanick has long been a lightning rod for criticism, but the announcement last month that he'd be joining Trump's Strategic and Policy Forum to advise the president on technology issues has drawn particular outrage.

The Uber spokesperson pointed to a letter Kalanick sent to Uber employees Saturday night in which he promised to replace lost wages for families of drivers shut out of the country. Kalanick expressed concern about the travel ban and said he would raise the issue at the first convening of the business advisory group this coming Friday.

The spokesperson also pointed to a later news release announcing, among other things, that Uber would create a $3 million legal defense fund to help drivers with immigration issues. (Lyft, immediately seeking to capitalize on Uber's bad press Saturday, announced it would be donating $1 million to the ACLU.)

"We have a long history of engaging with governments of all stripes," the spokesperson said. "We hold to the position that having a voice at the table is better than not being in the room"

A press release from the New York Taxi Workers Alliance, the driver group that announced the strike, did not make direct reference to the effect of Uber's actions during the strike but alluded to the company's relationship with Donald Trump.

"Now is the time for all those who value justice and equality to join together in holding Uber accountable, not only for its complicity with Trump's hateful policies but also for impoverishing workers," the release states.

"Uber's greed and disregard for social values was evident before the company's CEO Travis Kalanick became an advisor to Donald Trump. And Uber drivers along with other professional drivers bear the brunt of that greed."

The breadth of the campaign is unclear, although just over 50 percent of respondents to a highly informal Twitter poll said they had deleted the app, with another 15 percent considering it.

This afternoon, Lyft climbed to #4 in Apple's app store. As of publication, Lyft is now at #6. Uber sits at #13.

But the NYTWA isn't showing any love to Lyft.