A cyclist was taken to the hospital in serious condition after he was hit by the driver of what a witness said may have been a tow truck early Friday morning in Brooklyn.

According to Jess Wu, a witness to the crash, the driver hit the cyclist on Nostrand Avenue, between Lexington Avenue and Quincy Street in Bedford-Stuyvesant shortly after 1 a.m. on May 5. Wu told Gothamist that she and her boyfriend were biking south on Nostrand Avenue when they heard a speeding car that Wu described as a white pickup truck or tow truck peel out behind them.

Her boyfriend watched the driver crash into the cyclist, Wu said, and then he "saw the kid bounce on the road due to the collision," before the driver sped away down Quincy Street.

Wu said her boyfriend chased the driver down Quincy Street where there were a couple of plainclothes police that he flagged down. When one of the officers tapped on the driver's window as he waited at a light, the driver sped away again. According to Wu, those officers chased the driver, but later came back to the crash scene.

She also told Gothamist that the officers said they stopped their pursuit after thinking another squad car further ahead of them was going to take it over, but didn't for some reason.

As for the cyclist, Wu said that he was "unconscious for a good while, in the middle of the bus lane" after the crash. "He was bleeding from underneath where he fell, I think his arm and side, there was a lot of blood. The left side of his face I think had hit the road pretty hard," she said, and when he finally regained consciousness he couldn't talk but was making long groaning noises.

The NYPD confirmed to Gothamist in an email that there's a "complaint report on file" for the hit-and-run that morning and that an investigation is ongoing although they couldn't confirm any details of a pursuit of the driver. They wrote that the cyclist was a 27-year-old man, and that he suffered injuries to his face, clavicle and leg. The FDNY also confirmed that they made an ambulance pick up at the scene that morning, and took the cyclist to Kings County Hospital in serious condition.