Subway service is about back to normal today after the Blizzard shutdown, give or take the occasional icy death trap masquerading as stairs. But it seems the storm has once again shined a light on the disconnect between Albany and the City during major health and safety decisions.

Gov. Cuomo decided to shut down NYC Transit subway and bus service on Monday ahead of an anticipated blizzard, which came as a surprise to transit workers and experts...and City officials. Cuomo told the press his office was "totally coordinated" with the mayor on the effort, but Mayor de Blasio disagrees: aides say he was only given between 15 and 30 minutes warning before Cuomo made the announcement at 4:45 p.m. on Monday.

"We did not get a lot of advance notice," de Blasio said yesterday at a City Hall press conference. "I think it was a very big move and certainly something we would have liked to have had some more dialogue on."

Although MTA head Thomas Prendergast allegedly encouraged and supported Cuomo's decision, this was just the latest sign that Cuomo and de Blasio are not in sync, just as they butted heads through the press over the Ebola mess in the fall. DNAInfo adds:

The governor handed de Blasio a defeat over charter school expansion last year and, more recently, Cuomo was said to be considering stepping into the increasingly nasty feud between the mayor and the police unions.

De Blasio, however, did step up to support Cuomo's lieutenant governor candidate Kathy Hochul when polls showed a tighter-than-expected race. Cuomo also recently supported extending mayoral control of schools and agreed to continue funding one of de Blasio's signature initiatives of pre-K expansion.

A spokeswoman for Cuomo said the governor was in "constant communication" with the mayor starting on Sunday, and they had discussed closing the subways; as of Monday around noon, Prendergast was still advocating for keeping them open however. This was the first time in the 110 year history of the MTA that the subway was completely shutdown because of threat of snow conditions.

Prendergast has said he was influenced to change his mind thinking about the 2010 blizzard, in which riders were stranded in trains for hours, and 30-40 trains were stalled. "In railroading, there is more of an awareness that 'damn the torpedoes, run the trains' is not the most prudent course," he told the Times. "There’s a shift in the paradigm."

Despite no passengers, the trains still ran all night to keep the tracks clear, which has led some to criticize Cuomo for making a political decision instead of thinking about New Yorkers who work late at night or far from home: "Cuomo doesn’t want to deal with headlines placing the blame for the next stranded subway on his shoulders so instead, the entire city is effectively shut down," wrote Second Avenue Sagas.

WNYC has the story of one such family who got stranded in downtown Brooklyn around midnight with no more trains running; they were forced to walk six miles to East New York with their five-year-old bundled up in a shopping cart.

For his part, de Blasio said this morning that he had no regrets about shutting down the city in anticipation of a historic blizzard that never showed up: "Look, it’s a run-and-gun situation," de Blasio said on The Today Show, which you can watch below. "These situations, to be fair, people are trying to make decisions in real time with constantly changing information. You do the best you can."

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Although he's clearly trying to be a team player, de Blasio couldn't help but make mention of the last second notification about the subways: "We got very late notice … wasn’t that nice?"