Last week, 16 NYPD officers were indicted at a Bronx courthouse on charges related to the department's massive ticket-fixing probe. One hundred and sixty other officers have also been implicated in the probe, and may be forced to testify against other cops when it goes to trial. Many officers continue to argue that ticket-fixing is a mere courtesy that has always been extended to officers, their families, and other city officials. And one cop rationalized the ticket-fixing because it ensured a meeting between his gravely-ill child and the Yankees.

Police Benevolent Association official Joseph Anthony, who has been accused of fixing at least 22 tickets, arranged for Officer Herbert Oquendo's son Jared to meet the Yankees at the stadium in April 2010. Jared, who has an inoperable tumor on his brain, got to meet Derek Jeter and get signed balls and bats during his visit to the Bronx. “It's really bad, what's happening now,'' said Oquendo, a 19-year veteran assigned to the 52nd Precinct, told the News. “We extend courtesies and don't expect anything in return. In this case, the courtesy was for the Yankees. The Yankees are a great organization and they always help us."

But it seems that four months after their meeting, Yankee Stadium director of operations Douglas Behar got a speeding ticket that he wanted to disappear. Sources familiar with the probe said another Yankee official called Anthony, who got rid of the ticket to thank the Yankees for meeting with Jared. When Jared heard about Anthony being indicted, he told his father, 'Dad, take my $300 and get them out.'

While the story of Jared Oquendo is one of the sweeter ones to come out of the ticket-fixing probe, there have been many more shocking and disturbing ones, such as the case of a Bronx man who was beaten to "near death" by a paint-store manager who was friendly with cops. Victim Jose Ayala claims that cops covered-up the attack—and those cops included Officer Christopher Scott, who is accused of fixing hundreds of tickets as well. Scott allegedly was able to squash the assault case that his friend would have faced for the beating of Ayala, prosecutors alleged yesterday.

“I kept going to the 48th Precinct and no one would help me,’’ said Ayala, a day laborer who considering suing the NYPD, according to the Post. “I went there three times until a cop behind the desk tells me to get out. I was upset. They didn’t want to do anything—they’re supposed to be protecting me.”