The Daily News reports that Con Ed will give $3.75 million to the family of a 69-year-old woman who died after a gas explosion last year. Kunta Oza was burned over 90% of her body when a gas leak caused an explosion in Sunnyside, Queens. Though neighbors had called about the gas smell, Con Ed and the FDNY couldn't find the leak and no one was evacuated. The News reports, "The gas main cracked because of corrosion and wear and tear, state regulators found, even though it was not on Con Ed's priority list for replacement." Apparently cast iron pipes are supposed to be replaced (at least that's what federal safety experts say), but Con Ed's rate of replacing its 2,500 miles "of cast-iron pipe" is "just 40 miles a year, said City Councilman Eric Gioia.
Make your contribution now and help Gothamist thrive in 2023. Donate today