The city has agreed to pay out $609,000 in taxpayer money to settle a lawsuit stemming from the 2012 beating and false arrest of a teenager on a Bronx sidewalk, the pepper-spraying of his friend who filmed the incident, and the arrest of his mother, two brothers, and friend when they visited the 42nd Precinct to inquire about his wellbeing.

The ordeal purportedly began on a January 2012 afternoon when Jateik Reed, then 19, and his friends were walking from a bodega to one of their apartment buildings and several cops stopped and frisked them. Reed said that as he was being frisked, he informed the officers that he could make a CCRB complaint against them.

"The officers did not react well to that statement," said Gideon Oliver, one of Reed's lawyers.

Video shot by Reed's friend Trevor Nigel picks up with five officers beating the daylights out of Reed, mostly with batons, but also with a kick to the head. When one officer spots Nigel filming, he pepper-sprays him and chases him off:

Later that day, Reed's mother Schuan went to Morrisania's 42nd Precinct station house with Reed's two brothers, then 16 and 4, and a friend, to ask after Reed. At the precinct, cops arrested Schuan, Reed's teen brother William, and his friend Jashawn Walker, accusing them of disorderly conduct, trespassing, and resisting arrest for allegedly refusing to leave the precinct. Reed found himself charged with assaulting an officer—Officer Jason Vasquez accused him of punching him in the face and "[striking his] cheek with his head"—and possession of marijuana and crack cocaine.

These cases evidently had some problems, and all of the charges were ultimately thrown out, though it took until last year for Schuan Reed to beat her case.

The settlement includes terms somewhat unusual for a lawsuit against the NYPD: Detective Robert Jaquez, who Oliver said pepper-sprayed Nigel, has to personally pay Nigel $500, and Sergeant Alfousina Delacruz, evidently the sergeant who oversaw the arrest of Jateik Reed, is on the hook for $5,000 personally for Reed. In all, Reed is getting $480,000, his mother $65,000, and his brothers $55,000. The rest goes to Reed's two friends.

The city, officers, and victims settled in July, but Oliver said he waited to publicize it until the checks were cut. Oliver said that he has mixed feelings about settling, but it was a way to reach closure without having his clients "re-traumatized."

"I'm very happy with it on the one hand," he said. "On the other hand, this was a great case in the Bronx, and had it gone to a jury the award could potentially have been higher. Hopefully the amount here is high enough to send a message."

On that last point, Oliver is not wholly optimistic, and history shows why. The city paid $228 million to settle lawsuits alleging misconduct and brutality by the NYPD in the last fiscal year, the most of lawsuit payouts for any city agency, and almost as much as the budget of the Department of Aging. In instances where officers are placed on modified duty following allegations of misconduct, they often make tens of thousands of dollars over their base salary in overtime, and they are seldom fired, much less held criminally responsible for seemingly criminal conduct.

And despite apparent falsehoods by the arresting officers in Reed's case, for instance, about him possessing drugs—lying in a criminal complaint is a misdemeanor punishable by a year in jail, as is third-degree perjury—no officer has been charged.

Asked if the 11 officers named in Reed's lawsuit have been punished internally, an NYPD spokesperson would say only, "The officers involved have been disciplined." The spokesperson refused to provide further details, citing the NYPD's recent decision to reinterpret a section of the state Civil Rights Law to mean that it cannot release details about officers' disciplinary records, a break from decades of police practice.

"Nobody within the police department or Bronx DA's office or City Council has had the political will to create any real consequences or accountability for these officers," Oliver said. "That's the most troubling thing about this."

The Bronx District Attorney's Office did not respond to a request for comment on why none of the officers have been charged.

The officers involved in the 2012 incidents include now-Detective David Terrell, who provided the narratives for the original criminal complaints against Reed's family members and friend. Terrell, along with his colleagues in the 42nd Precinct, is under a cloud of corruption and brutality allegations thanks to a series of investigative reports by NBC4. Teenagers, bystanders, and parents have accused Terrell and other officers from the Bronx precinct of falsely arresting people, demanding sex acts from women under threat of retaliation against their families, and coercing people into falsely identifying suspects for violent crimes.

Terrell was stripped of his gun and badge after NBC4 published video of him shooting dice with a group of young men, saying that he would release their friend whom he had arrested if he lost. Terrell lost, but booked the man anyway on a charge of playing music too loudly, which the man told NBC4 is totally false.

Two men facing murder charges stemming from cases out of the 42nd Precinct recently had their cases dismissed by prosecutors after they had spent nearly three years in jail awaiting trial. One of the men, Salim Wilson, told the station that officers had coerced witnesses into falsely identifying him, and that prosecutors held onto the case for 33 months despite an alibi backed by video evidence.