“I said after I lost the primary that I would not actively seek re-election on the Republican or Conservative line,” Brooklyn DA Charles Hynes told the Times last month after losing big to Ken Thompson in the Democratic primary. “I’m giving you a very clear, definitive answer.” But two weeks is an eternity: Charles Hynes is running as a Republican.

Kings County DA spokesman Jerry Schmetterer told the Post that Hynes changed his mind. “The DA is making a formal announcement Tuesday to lay out the reasons for his decision to continue the campaign."

Hynes apparently held a fundraiser at the Greenhouse Cafe in Bay Ridge last night where he told supporters that he was running (and presumably assured them that his sex crimes scandals, the massive investigation into scores of shady murder convictions, and the fact that nearly all of his support from the Brooklyn Democratic establishment has eroded, won't matter).

Thompson told WNYC this morning that he anticipated that Hynes would actively campaign, despite beating Hynes 55% to 44% and being invited by Hynes to take over the DA's "digs" in downtown Brooklyn.

“It’s sad that Mr. Hynes refuses to accept the will of the people, as he repeatedly pledged to do last month," Thompson campaign spokesman James Freedland told us. "We are confident all of Brooklyn's voters will render the same overwhelming verdict as they did in the primary."