A 25-year-old Bushwick resident died of a suspected heroin overdose this week, just hours before she was supposed to move back home to the West Coast.
Janina Glasov's roommate found her body in her bedroom on Bushwick Avenue near Pilling Street at about 11:30 p.m. Tuesday night. The Post reports that a hypodermic needle, spoon, and empty bag marked “MONSTER HIGH” were found on the premises.
Glasov was a native of San Francisco, and she was expected to fly back West to move home for good on Wednesday. She graduated from Hampshire College in Amherst, Massachusetts with a concentration in journalism, and according to LinkedIn she held a number of internships in both the Bay Area and in New York.
The Post spoke to her mother, who told the tabloid Glasov "was the most dazzling young woman. She had so much potential she had so much to give. She was just amazing."
Fatal narcotics overdoses have spiked so much in the city that in April Mayor de Blasio announced the creation of a "Heroin and Prescription Opioid Public Awareness Task Force," which has increased the number of lifesaving nalaxone kits in public circulation and installed a response system that would ensure social workers follow up with overdose victims. The city has also floated opening Safe Injection Sites —clinical centers where heroin users can inject with clean supplies—but that has not come into fruition.
Still, the entire country has been experiencing what the Times has defined as a "heroin epidemic," noting that heroin deaths nearly quadrupled from 2002 to 2013. Glasov's mother told the Post she hopes the media will continue to spread the word. "I just think every journalist out there should be doing something about these killer drugs that are out there," she said. "We can’t ignore this."