Earlier this morning, a fire broke out in an East Village apartment building on East 4th Street around 8:07 a.m. Robert Kreizel tells us that crowds watched as flames could be seen shooting out of the apartment windows facing Avenue A across from the Key Food Supermarket.

The FDNY says the one-alarm fire was caused by a burning candle left on the radiator—which then ignited a towel. No one was injured in the blaze, but the apartment, owned by a couple, was destroyed.

Kreizel also spoke to building resident Tom Bergeron, who lives on the 9th floor and said that firemen knocked on his door at 8:15 am and told him to evacuate the building. "I don't think anyone was hurt. It's really terrible." Bergeron said. "The building just finished a two year project to point all of the exterior bricks too." Not the pointed bricks!