Yikes: An Astoria man was killed when he tried to put out a burning mattress over the weekend. Koji Takagaka had fallen asleep with a burning cigarette, igniting the mattress, and his older brother Hiroshi tried to get the fire out by taking the mattress to the bathroom. However, the bed's flames became unwieldy and Hiroshi died underneath the mattress. Some fire safety tips via the NY Times:

The chief fire marshal, Louis Garcia, said that a mattress should never be moved under such circumstances because even though flames might not be visible, a fire could spread inside the bedding. Moving the mattress, he added, helps the internal fire to burst into the outside air.

Koji had saved himself by jumping from his second story balcony; the brothers had a carpentry business in Queens.

With news of this fire, the response times from the FDNY are being criticized: The fire occurred at 1:31AM, and the response time was 7 minutes. Uniformed Firefighters Association trustee Stephen Humenesky told Newsday, "When you close firehouses you're going to increase response time," noting that one of the fire stations the mayor closed to save money was much closer to the fire.