A Brooklyn infant died last night after he was given over-the-counter cough medicine. Police believe 4-month-old Daniel Richardson's death was an accident; his Aunt, who was babysitting him Thursday in Bushwick, gave the infant the syrup for a cough, and said he didn't have any other health issues. She tearfully told the News, "I was the one who gave the baby the medicine, and I'm the one being investigated. I can't believe this happened. I didn't do anything wrong. I don't know. I gave the baby medicine. I was baby-sitting. I don't know."

The US Center for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that parents shouldn't give over-the-counter cold medicine to children younger than two without first consulting with a doctor because of possible adverse reactions. There are also recipes for homemade cough medicine available on the internet, without the potentially dangerous drugs you find in commercial syrups.