2007_03_rugbyfire.jpgLast night, a house on Rugby Road in Flatbush was gutted by a huge fire. The fire started around 8PM, spreading from the second floor to the third floor and attic and to the house next door. One hundred fifty firefighters were on the scene to put out the fire, which flared up again a few hours later.

Fire officials believe that the fire started when someone ashed a cigarette outside, but the wind blew the ashes back inside. One firefighter was injured while three teens and one adult escaped. The house was a non-profit for foster families and children, run by JCC Associates.

And earlier this morning, a trash fire occurred in a LIRR tunnel at Penn Station. According to WCBS 2, a train "dropped or struck what is being called a 'battery cable box,' which caused a sparked that ignited some debris in the tunnel." The fire was put out quickly and the LIRR expects a normal commute.