Yesterday, a 4-month-old child died from burns caused by a fire in her Bedford-Stuyvesant home. The tragedy occurred after a firefighter entered the burning building to retrieve her from a room where she was sleeping, but the baby had burns over 90% of her body. Her mother, aunt, siblings, and cousins managed to get out of the home at 521 Greene Ave. in time as dozens of firefighters battled the blaze. It's believed the fire started in a vacant apartment on the first floor when a child was playing with matches or a lighter.

Felicia Vaughn, the baby's mother, who was trying to get her and her sister's children out of the burning building, thought someone else had taken baby Anyah out. When she realized Anyah was still inside, she tried to go back in but the fire was too large. Firefighter Danny Imsardi went into the building, though the smoke and flames,and managed to get the baby, but was initially thwarted because the mattress that Anyah was sleeping on was blocking the door. Anyah died at the burn unit of New York Presbyterian.

Fire Department Deputy Chief Vincent Mandela said, "It was a tremendous push to get in there. We had our guys enter, and the engines and the trucks who do the searches. We went in through the front of the building, we tried to make our way, but there was heavy heat, heavy smoke and fire." Anyah's aunt said, "I wish it was me and not the baby."